On Thursday, May 27, Moscow hosted a solemn ceremony of awarding the Hero of Russia cosmonaut Salizhan Shakirovich Sharipov with the “The Treasure of Peace” medal number 001 named after Julius and Ethel Rosenberg with the wording “For strengthening friendship between peoples and peace achieving deeds”. The ceremony took place at the VDNKh complex and at the Museum of Cosmonautics.
“The Treasure of Peace” medal named after Julius and Ethel Rosenberg is a public award established at the initiative of the Foundation for the Support and Development of Jewish Culture, Traditions, Education and Science (Moscow, Russia). The Foundation is implementing the project “Memorialization of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. Revival of the Culture of Struggle for Peace”. The project is supported by the Presidential Grants Foundation, Rossotrudnichestvo and the Historical Memory Foundation.
The award was presented by Mikhail Chernov, the Chairman of the Board of the Foundation and Head of the Project.
“The act of bravery of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg was neither the first nor the last in the history of mankind in the sake of the struggle for peace. However, in recent history, this is one of the first acts of bravery where the heroes have shown not only fortitude, but also the conviction that the struggle for peace is the highest value, so high that it can be higher than the price of their own lives», — said Mr. Chernov.
The contribution of cosmonaut Salizhan Sharipov to the fundamental basics of Russian-American relations and his peace achieving activities were also highlighted by the participants of the ceremony.
“Relations between states and peoples, Russia and the United States, are experiencing ups and downs. But the Cosmos is eternal and is directed towards the future! And your work and your joint flight with the Americans are related to the future. But you are also on the Earth. And the peoples of Russia and Central Asia appreciate your social and political work and struggle for peace», — said Chernov.
The honoring of cosmonaut Salizhan Sharipov and presentation of the “Memorialization of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. Revival of the Culture of Struggle for Peace” project took place in the Museum of Cosmonautics. “While serving in the armed forces of the USSR, I took an oath to the Soviet people, … in 1990 I joined the cosmonaut corps. The Soviet Union collapsed, but the unity of the Soviet people remained, and what I once gave an oath of service to the Motherland, the Soviet people, I continue today», — said Salizhan Sharipov.
1. Salizhan Shakirovich Sharipov, cosmonaut, Hero of Russia, Hero of the Kyrgyz Republic, Chevalier of the Order of the Republic of Uzbekistan «For Outstanding Service»
2. Natalya Vitalievna Artyukhina, Director of the Museum of Cosmonautics
3. Naida Nukhbekovna Azizova, correspondent
4. Raimkul Arzimamatovich Attakurov, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Kyrgyz Republic to the Russian Federation (2008-2010), Chairman of the Coordination Council of the Kyrgyz Diaspora in Moscow and the Moscow Region.
5. Mikhail Dmitrievich Bryukhanov, Deputy Head of Rossotrudnichestvo
6. Alexander Viktorovich Vorobiev, Director of the Center for the Promotion of Technologies for the 21st Century, publisher
7. Alexander Yurievich Gagin, economic analyst
8. Yuri Nikolaevich Golubchikov, Professor of the Faculty of Geography, Moscow State University
9. Aaron Yuryevich Gurevich, Chief Military Rabbi of Russia
10. Andranik Sedrakovich Derenikyan, Chairman of the Board of the Siberian Institute of Eurasian Scientific and Educational Cooperation and Development of Tomsk State Pedagogical University
11. Zakir Sabirovich Zaitov, Political Counselor of the Embassy of the Republic of Uzbekistan in the Russian Federation
12. Vyacheslav Lvovich Klimentov, Deputy Director for Research, Museum of Cosmonautics
13. Sergey Vladimirovich Meshkov, Russian-Kyrgyz Friendship Society
14. Dmitry Valentinovich Mikulsky, Professor, Chief Researcher, Department of Literary Monuments of the Peoples of the East, Institute of Oriental Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences
15. Askhat Aryslanbekovich Osmonov, leader of a youth public organization
16. Mikhail Igorevich Chernov, the Chairman of the Board of the Foundation for the Support and Development of Jewish Culture, Traditions, Education and Science (Moscow, Russia) and Head of the Rosenbergs Project.